5.17.2007

Going to Mexico and other things

On May 24th, I am leaving with a small group from Austin called Weavers of Hope, to go and check out the area and try to help out at a village they work with in Zacatecas, Mexico. Weavers of Hope is an organization that purchases rugs fair trade from a group of weavers. (They are beautiful rugs, I already have one at my apartment.) They purchase the rugs from the Weavers at a negotiated price and in turn sell them in the States. The profit of the rug sales goes to the other part of Weavers of Hope, and that is a scholarship program for students in the area.

I am so very excited to go visit. It's a 17 hour drive, we will stay the night in Saltillo on our journey to help break up the car ride. We will have a lot of time for prayer, reflection, and I hope sleeping and reading. :)

Packing will be fun. I've been told it's cool in the mornings and warmer in the days. I imagine it will be similar to Guatemala's weather.

Speaking of Guatemala, it looks like I am taking a group of teens and their parents in July. I can't wait to go back. Eric is going to go as a our translator. I think I need to spend the next week speaking, reading and listening to Spanish to help with my fluency. I know it's better when I am immersed in it, but this time I want to know more so that I can actually carry on a simple conversation past, "Como esta usted?"

On Tuesday, Seth and I met with John and Kathy Tucker from New Hope for Cambodian Children. They are in the States for a little bit to visit families and to give personal thank yous. They are such an amazing couple and incredible individuals. The Holy Spirit flowed from their head to their toes.

I can't wait to go to Cambodia and volunteer for them!

I am trying to figure out how to add a DVD to our website for everyone to view. The Tucker's had a DVD made of their organization and it's pretty great. I'll get it up soon to share with the web world.

I'm out.

No comments: